Tuesday, September 12, 2006

My dream garden


Alan and I saw lots of wonderful Japanese gardens. Alan encouraged me to dig up my current yard, which, given all the native plants I've put in, I have to say, looks very natural compared to Japanese gardens (read, weed-strewn vacant lot). Here are some items I'd like in my own personal Japanese garden.


We saw lots of moss-covered lanterns. These are rows and rows in Taiyoin-byo, Nikko.




There were other lanterns in Nikko, including this big brass one.














More stone lanterns.


And who wouldn't mind some wind chimes in their garden?







Some nice statues scattered about would be nice, like here at Daisho-in, in Miyajima, and at Engaku-ji, in Kamakura.

Of course some of the garden would be wet, like here at Engaku-ji...


Or a dry landscape, like this famous one at Ryoan-ji in Kyoto...













A hill from which you could look down upon your garden would be an asset, like at Ginkaku-ji also in Kyoto...



And naturally you would need someone to work in your garden...









No, not Alan but the guy behind him!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home